Here are some of our favorite, can’t-miss car checks you will want to do before you head out on your long-distance drive.
Test all the lights and windows as well as your horn
Check all your fluid levels
Check the age of your tires and brake pads
Set up or update your in-car safety kit
- Nonperishable food items and sealed bottled waters
- A first aid pack with antiseptic, band aids, bandage wraps, gauze, wound cream, antacids, anti-inflammatories, capsules for upset stomach, and a foil blanket.
- A flashlight with fresh batteries
- Tire jack, tool changing kit, and spare tire
- Tire patch kit
- Duct tape
- A spare charged cell phone (does not have to be activated to call 911)
- An atlas or physical maps of the locations through which you will travel
- Spare warm clothing, socks, and sneakers
- Spare blankets
- Gloves, a hat, and a scarf
- Paper and writing utensils
- Road flares
- Multitool or pocket knife
Check that a friend or relative has your itinerary
Remember, road trips are supposed to be fun! Take in the open road, enjoy the view, and take these steps before you go to make sure you stay safe out there.